Business Intelligence Specialist
Midrand – Gauteng – South Africa
Reporting to the Senior IT Manager you will be responsible for providing operational database services. Your role would include installing and configuring database systems, patches and security updates. Work with application development teams to design, and review designs for new databases, or changes to existing databases. Review performance stats and recommend changes for tuning databases, servers, storage configurations, and applications. Work with vendors and internal support representatives to gather information and determine and implement resolutions. You will have strong technical aptitude/rapport and the ability to convey technical content in a clear, concise manner, using appropriate language appropriate for the audience.
Skills and Qualifications
- Power Bi
- Data Warehouses
- Fact and Dimension Tables
- SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS)
- SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS)
- Column Store Indexes
- Online Analytical Processing (OLAP)
- Table Partitioning
- Extract Transform and Load (ETL)
- SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS)
- Kimball and Inmon methodologies
- Star Schema and Snowflake Schema design
Desirable But No Essential
- Automating deployment and/or operational tasks.
- My SQL
- Postgres SQL
Key Result Areas
- Installing and configuring database systems, patches and security updates.
- Ensure 24/7 365 database availability and uptime are the most important.
- Enforcement of database standards when doing code reviews with the application development team. Work with application development teams to design, and review designs for new databases, or changes to existing databases.
- Assess and identify database server resource requirements based on new applications and current requirements.
- Database monitoring, performance tuning and database optimizations
- Develop and improve procedures for automated monitoring of database availability.
- Review performance stats and recommend changes for tuning databases, servers, storage configurations, and applications.
- Ensure scheduled full, differential and transaction log backups are complete successfully.
- Periodically conduct test database restores to validate backup integrity, Recovery Point Objectives and Recovery Time Objectives, and gather requirements and make recommendations for database backup and recovery procedures.